Just so you know, this is not a tutorial series! I am writing this series mainly to give you a behind the scenes look at the process of making a game in Unity, and to document the development of this project.
It’s been a pretty busy week so far, which is why this post is starting on a Thursday, but here and there I’ve been able to find some time to work on the character controller. Today I finally finished adding air control, although there are still some quirks and edge-cases to sort out.
The busyness is going to continue through the weekend with graduation ceremonies and such, so I won’t have time to get much done. I’ll definitely include next week’s progress in this post, and then I think from that point forward this series will be updated weekly.
It was a busy weekend, but I’m now officially finished with high school! I finally found the time to make some progress today, and I managed to fix a few issues with player air control.
This evening I felt like dabbling with terrain generation a little bit, so that’s what I ended up doing. I wrote a basic deterministic formula that creates some relatively decent terrain, although it’s currently all client-side, so this is barely worth mentioning.
Today I decided to play around with my mesh generation code. It currently produces meshes made up of right-angled triangles, but I think if the triangles were equilateral it’d fit the low poly style better. I’ve managed to get this somewhat working, although every second row of triangles is being set incorrectly, which produces some strange looking results.
This evening I finished modifying the mesh generation code. The new triangles aren’t entirely equilateral—they’re slightly stretched because I wanted the mesh to still tile nicely. You can see a comparison below, and I definitely prefer the new look.
Today I noticed that there were some issues when generating meshes with odd-numbered side lengths, so I fixed that. After that, I started looking into adding ladders, but I haven’t gotten too far into it yet.
This afternoon I added most of the necessary logic to support ladders. It’s basically working, but there’s still some clean up I need to do, and I need to actually attach some ladders to the the ship. I’m out of time for today though, so I’ll have to do that next week.
During this coming week, I plan to finish up the ladder functionality before moving on to proper server-side terrain generation. That will probably take a decent chunk of time since I’ll also need to add trees and other objects, all of which I’ll need to make models for as well.