With it still being the holidays, I didn’t make too much progress during the first week of this devlog. However, in the second half I started working on dropping the anchor and raising it again, which came with a few problems.
Since the capstan’s collider will have to rotate, I can’t make it part of the ship’s compound collider, so I ended up looking into BepuPhysics’ constraints. I got kind of stuck, but once I sort it out I’ll be able to use the same knowledge to rotate the colliders of other objects such as the rudder and the cannons.
I also had to rewrite the way I handle inputs on my server in order to allow me to take advantage of continuous inputs. This took a lot longer than I would have liked, and the code still feels kind of messy, but I should be able to reuse the same systems quite often in the future.
As always, if you’re interested in more videos like this, leave a like (it really helps out with the YouTube algorithm), and consider subscribing. Also, come check out the Discord server where you can share your progress, ask for help, and hang out with other game developers.