I've been talking about sinking ships throughout several of the previous devlogs, but the time has finally come. Over the last two weeks I worked out most of the problems…
Over the last two weeks I explored more advanced server architecture, and I experimented a bit with Unity's new Data Oriented Technology Stack (DOTS).
It's been a while since I posted the last devlog—I've been pretty busy, in large part with starting a YouTube channel. Here's the latest devlog, in video form.
In this update, I finally got around to removing the water inside the ships! Unfortunately, my computer's power supply broke shortly after that, so I wasn't able to accomplish much else.
After a lengthy break from programming, I finally discovered a way to render shadows on my water while maintaining the its shoreline effects.
This week was super productive! I finished up most ladder functionality and got terrain generation up and running.
These last two weeks were pretty busy with graduation and the end of school, but I managed to add air control and ladders to the game.
In the last two weeks, I added crews, along with support for multiple ships in the world. I also fixed a whole range of issues that were plaguing ship flotation and maneuverability.
I didn't have time to get as much done as I would have liked over the last two weeks, but I did manage to tie up some loose ends. I finally sorted out the character controller and cannons are now fully functional.